Standing as a symbol of fond
memories of a time gone by, the Transfer House holds a great deal of
sentimental value to the people of Decatur Illinois.
Built in 1895, on Lincoln
Square, the Transfer House sat in the center of the original town. It served
as a shelter for those waiting to board street cars and later buses. Over
the years, the Transfer House has been much more to the citizens of Decatur
than just protection from the cold. This symbol of Decatur reminds us of a
time when those crazy trolley parties were the rage and young people lined
up to ride the new electric street cars. It was an era of good old fashion
fun, as friends met on the Square for those weekly band concerts by the
Goodman Band and later the WPA Orchestra. A period of time marked by victory
celebrations and political speeches, the Transfer House served as the
centerpiece for social gatherings.
As time passed on, the city of
Decatur began to grow and the Transfer House was standing in the way of
progress. Because of the traffic flow problems, the Decatur City Council in
1962, decided to move the Transfer House to Central Park under much protest.
This move signaled the end of a special era in the History of Decatur.